Friday, February 13, 2015


Search Engines: Search engines are very helpful for teachers as well as students. Many people use Google as their main search engine.Teachers can type in any topic they would like more information on and get a variety of results to choose from. From there, the teacher can collect many resources to help teach content in their classroom. If teachers would like to narrow down information on a topic, the teacher can use the advanced search button to get specific information about that topic. Search engines are very beneficial for students that may not know exactly what information to search but with the search engine, they can type in a combination of words that can help with their research. Also, with search engines, students can misspell words in the tool bar and the search engine will correct what a student is trying to type in the tool bar. This can really help students with spelling as well. I will use search engines as a resource to expose my students to surfing the web for information.

Website Evaluation Video: Teaching student how to browse the “Web” correctly will benefit them as they get older and the research topics get more in-depth. One issue I would address in my class, is practicing how to find out if a website is credible. Many students like to copy and paste information about their topics, without really understanding if the information is true or not. This tutorial will give students explanations of how to investigate a website when looking for information. Click on the video above for more understanding of website evaluation.

 

Favorite Website #1: One of my favorite websites is Starfall. This website offers a variety of educational games for different grade levels. I can see myself using this website for activities that can help with beginning sounds and reading. The site offers activities that help keep the students engaged in what they are learning. My children enjoyed this website in their earlier grades. It is very easy to navigate through the website, which is really important when introducing computer games to students.

Favorite website #2: Ex of wiki I really liked this particular example of how to use a wiki inside your classroom. Wiki’s can provide excitement to content and it also helps the students to take charge of their work. I think fifth graders would really enjoy doing a social studies assignment using the wiki. Each student gets to add videos, facts, use power point, and images to help make their wiki’s more interactive. Here is an example of how you can use the wiki with your class.
Click here

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! Starfall is a great website to use with students. In addition to its easy navigation, it also has good visual design which is very important in evaluating websites. Because the website is very colorful and designed to catch students' attention, I believe it will be very successful in your classroom. It would be good to use this website as a station at reading centers or, students could work on this website at home for extra practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that search engines are extremely important to teachers and students. I love that you used starfall as one of your websites, it is one of my daughters favorites. It is very easy for students to navigate, and just very kid friendly over all. I also really like the video you posted. It is very important for students to know how to browse the internet correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that search engines are important to students and teachers. I like that you mentioned the advanced search button to get specific information on a subject. I've never heard of Starfall before but looks like a very beneficial website for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete